Facing A Health Crisis: 7 Advocating Tips (from An Attorney)!
by: Renee' Leon
When someone we love is facing an unfamiliar health crisis it means that those closest to them are called upon to provide support. Support can look like many things – rides to appointments, meals, holding a hand, and sometime financial assistance. Another important role is being an advocate.
The person facing the scary health stuff is often unable to fully comprehend and remember what the medical team finds, suggests, and prescribes during an appointment. A dear friend of mine, an advocate by trade (she’s an attorney), recently found herself needing to use her skills in just this way. These are her 7 Advocate Tips to follow:
1) Educate yourself, and not just a Google search. Talk to people who have been through something similar. Learn as much as you can about the health condition and treatment options. This will help you make informed decisions and ask the right questions.
2) Trust your gut and instincts and don’t accept no for an answer if it doesn’t feel right. If you are unsure about a diagnosis or treatment plan, consider seeking a second opinion from another healthcare provider.
3) Communicate effectively. Be clear and assertive when communicating with healthcare providers. Ask questions, express your concerns, and make sure you understand the information you are given. Write notes or audio record appointments (if allowed) so you can review as needed.
4) Build a support network. Surround yourself with people who can provide emotional support and help you navigate the healthcare system; be willing to accept help. This may be emotionally uncomfortable but try to embrace it. Your network will step up if you let them.
5) Keep records. Keep a record of all medical appointments, tests, and treatments. This will help you keep track of your health and ensure that you receive appropriate care.
6) Know your rights. Familiarize yourself with your legal rights as a patient. This includes your right to informed consent, privacy, and access to medical records.
7) If you are advocating for someone else, make sure you have their permission and understand their wishes. Speak up on their behalf and ensure that their needs are being met.
When a medical crisis arises, the last thing you have space/time to manage is car trouble! Stay current on your vehicle’s maintenance schedule so you can readily step up when needed. We hope none of our customers have a need to ponder this list any time soon! Stay well, friends!
$5 off Oil Change
Redeem this special to get $5 off your next oil change! Cannot be combined with any other offer. Must present coupon/offer in advance.
Don't Suffer Through This Summer in Your Car!
Air Conditioning System Performance Assessment includes:
- Checking A/C performance
- Checking belts and hoses
- Performing leak test
- Checking fan & blower operation
- Checking temperature output
- Only $95.00, a savings of $50
Fuel System Cleaning
Get $20 off our BG Fuel System Cleaning service!
When you send us a new customer, we credit your account $50 to be used towards any services! No limits on referrals! It's super simple - after your friend comes to try our services and tells us YOU referred them to us, we'll apply $50 to your account. Print a coupon from the website or ask our Service Advisors for our special referral cards give your friends and family!!
Film on The Field, last Saturday of every month May – September
Join us for another magical summer of Film on The Field. There’s something about warm summer nights and watching a movie outside under the stars, and this summer Stanley Marketplace + Visit Aurora are bringing back the beloved outdoor movie nights to the Field at Stanley. Our Film on the Field series, presented by Visit Aurora, starts Saturday, May 27 with movies shown at dusk on a giant 28’ blow up screen every last Saturday of the month.
PRO TIP: Pick up dinner and drinks to-go at one of Stanley Marketplace’s restaurants, bars, and brewery and bring it out to The Field to enjoy with family, friends, and community in this FREE event.
Catch the full lineup here:
- Top Gun Maverick – Saturday, July 29
- The Super Mario Bros. Movie – Saturday, August 26
- Coco – Saturday, Sept. 30. Join us for the final night of Film on The Field for Coco as we celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month.
“Thank you so much for your honesty and your recommendations on the GMC. I will continue to recommend Aurora Auto Repair to family and friends!”
- Veronica C.
“We've used Aurora AutoPros for our company vehicles for years. Team members are always so helpful with meeting our needs and ensuring our fleet is maintained and safe for our clients and staff. We would recommend them for any of your auto service needs!”
- Ethan M.
Thank you to Deborah Voss and Zack Snader for referring us! You’ll both have $50 referral credit to use towards your auto service!
Why are there no July 4th knock-knock jokes?
Because freedom rings!
Experience free live music and performances every month, hosted by the city’s Library and Cultural Services Department. The 2023 Aurora Rhythms Concert Series will take place from June to December inside different library locations throughout the city.
Mark Kahalekulu - Traditional Hawaiian music, songs and dance.
Tuesday, July 18, 6:30 p.m., Tallyn's Reach Library, 23911 E. Arapahoe Road